Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Meet Mr. Pilsner

(via)
My cousin told me about Mr. Pilsner, National Premium, and the current attempt to revive them both. I wanted to spread the word. The short story is that National Brewing Company used to brew National Bohemian and National Premium. National Premium, the brother beer to Boh, was a pilsner and was fairly expensive. It is said to have been enjoyed by numerous historic Baltimore figures. At some point along the path National Premium ceased to be brewed and the original recipe was lost. As fortune would have it, a man by the name of Tim Miller is trying to re-discover the original recipe and begin brewing this piece of Baltimore History.

I won't go any deeper into the story than that, since I would just be repeating the words of someone else, but I will provide some links for you to enjoy.

National Premium Official Website: http://nationalpremiumbeer.com/
Old City Paper Article: Best Defunct Local Beer
Old but comprehensive City Paper article: A Beer to Call Your Own
NBD Article: National Premium Beer Might Return To Baltimore


2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of dubious about that whole "recipe was lost" bit. I suspect it's marketing lore more than anything.

    I mean, we're not talking about Grandma's Depression-era saurbraten recipe. Premium was made up until 1996, and was bought by Stroh's.

    I'm willing to bet there is a recipe, just that Miller doesn't have it. It's probably in a file cabinet in the Stroh's offices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the recipe being lost is a little suspect but I would like to try National Premium should they get around to making it! -The Picky Clam

    ReplyDelete